As Tweets flew thick and fast last night, many settled in for a wonderful night of watching the History channel's rendition of "The Bible". However, 25 minutes into it, I was on alert.
My husband and I sat, Bible on his lap, checking the story.
Please note, these are MY OPINIONS. And I stand by what I'm about to type/say--whatever you want to call it. I understand this is Hollywood's slant. HOWEVER, TRUTH is TRUTH. God's Word is Truth.
I had caution flags waving throughout the movie.
• The Bible does not begin at the flood. There was no explanation as to why God chose to flood the earth or why Noah and his family were spared.
• Completely left out the renaming of Abram->Abraham and Sarai->Sarah...and while we are on the subject of women, given the place in society that women held back in this time, would Lot's wife really have spoken to Lot in the manner she did? And in front of other men?
••Station Break•• I recall thinking of the sponsors of the movie...Walmart, ChristianMingle, used cars via CarMax, and pharmaceuticals. And playing "Amazing Grace" while showing stills of all the History Channels 'reality' shows(?)••
• The angels that fought in Sodom looked like present-day Ninjas. Hmmm.
• According to Genesis 16:6, (Abram in the Bible, Abraham in the movie) did not send Hagar away; Hagar chose to leave because she was mistreated by her mistress (Sarai/Sarah, depending on which one you are following).
• Glossed over the plagues and the reason behind them--SIN.
By now, you can tell I was disappointed with this movie.
But, it's only a movie.
My concern is for the unchurched public, watching this movie, thinking it's the truth--God's Truth. Sin is never addressed, Hollywood has glossed it over, calling it human condition. God will not be mocked.
Wonder why I had caution flags waving?
I think the clincher was the announcer quipped this little blurb at the end; "It's time to wake up to History(insert History Channel logo here)'s new age.
Doubtful I'll be watching much of the rest of the series. This is how the enemy will act, to turn even believers away from the truth of God's Word.
"Fot the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear." 2 Timothy 4:3 (NIV)